December 29, 2011

Firsts in 2011

Who knew that at the wise old age of 38 I would still have a list of firsts?!?
  • The most shocking thing I did this year was I went camping - in a tent - in the middle of the woods - with no electricity or water - and LOVED it.  That's me looking ultra cool and oh so fashionable in my hunter orange coat and hat ;)  I can't see spending a week or two camping, but I can't wait to go again this summer for the weekend.  Since I went with "professional" campers, we had many luxuries available to us - like our outdoor toilet!  Probably wouldn't have survived without it!  I have a high-maintenance hair-do, so I bet I didn't look super cute, but since there were no mirrors, I totally didn't care!  We also had incredible food - breakfast burritos, venison nachos, chili-mac, sloppy joes and of course SMORES!!

  • Got my very own fishing pole - it's black and of course PINK and I love it!  It was a gift from Glenn - he rocked with this gift :)

  • Got my very first fishing license and small game hunting license.  Yes, I caught some fish but no I did not bait my hook or touch my fish.  I also went hunting for grouse, but never got the chance to shoot at one. Learned one thing - NEVER go into the woods without a working compass.  That's a good tip whether you are hunting or just hiking. 
  • I shot a gun - actually a few different ones - shotguns and handguns.  I was SUPER nervous doing this.  I didn't grow up around guns and really felt some anxiety about shooting one.  I'm glad I did it, but I probably won't be shooting one again anytime soon! 

  • I also went trail biking with my fancy new bike. I'm actually quite good (as long as there are no hills). Thanks to Glenn, Chrissy, Jenny & Ben - I've become quite the little outdoor girl!  Who knew I could do it???? Since I'm a GurleeGirrl, I hate dirt, sweat, mud, bugs, etc., but this year, I set all that aside to experience life.  It was  AWESOME!

  • I walked in my first (of many to come) Breast Cancer walk. I was joined by my sister Melissa, Chrissy and Glenn.  It was an emotional day for all, and I am so glad they were there to share it with me. 

  • I watched my kids splash and play in the ocean (Atlantic).  Although we have been to Florida every year since 2003, this is the first time we've gone to the beach!  They loved it, and this momma was a nervous wreck!  The waves pretty rough at times and the undercurrent was strong.  It was beautiful, and I'm so glad we decided to have a "relaxing" day at the beach.

  • Had a week of no-kids while they were away at Camp Kesem.  Camp Kesem is a camp for children who have or have had a parent with cancer.  The camp is free, as it runs on donations.  My kids had an incredible time, and look forward to going back this summer. 


Thanks to my incredible family and friends, I had an amazing 2011!  Thanks to those that helped me branch out and try new things! You've made me a stronger, healthier, happier girl.  I love you all.

Did you have any firsts in 2011? Are you planning any for 2012?  My list has been started, and I look forward to sharing it with you in the New Year!  

2 comments:

Alyssa said...

Sounds like a pretty good year for you!! Hoping that 2012 will be just as good, if not better! :)

GTuck said...

You did accomplish a lot of firsts in 2011. First one we will have to knock off in 2012 is ice fishing!!